WDP works within HMP Bedford to provide support to prisoners who are experiencing problems with drugs and alcohol.
WDP provides a recovery focused psychosocial service aimed at enabling substance misusing prisoners to achieve their aspirations and reduce their offending. We work in close partnership with Northampton NHS Foundation Trust who provides the clinical aspect of the drug and alcohol service in HMP Bedford. Our aim is to work with the prisoner to develop a care plan based on their needs and ambitions, and this will include preparation for release from prison. We work with key departments in the prison and with partners in the community to assist prisoners in overcoming their dependency, improving their health and reducing their offending.
The WDP service in HMP Bedford is part of the Integrated Substance Misuse Services in HMP Bedford, provided by Northampton NHS Foundation Trust and WDP.
Services provided by WDP include:
- Comprehensive assessment of substance misusing prisoners and risk management planning
- Case management and care coordination, including recovery planning, reviews of treatment progress and relapse prevention
- One-to-one support through regular sessions with a key worker: interventions include evidence based practice such as motivational interviewing and ITEP maps (the International Treatment Effectiveness Project using node link mapping and brief interventions designed to change thinking patterns)
- Group work programme: group sessions covering a range of topics aimed at supporting the prisoner’s recovery and involving the psychosocial and clinical teams, prison officers and peer support
- Family service: The service aims to aid communication between prisoners and their families / rebuild ties, encourages prisoners to acknowledge the impact of their substance misuse on their families and to improve parenting skills where appropriate
- Harm minimisation advice and information on blood-borne viruses
Resettlement and pre-release planning: we work closely with all departments in the prison and in the community to support the release and reintegration of individuals into the community.
We do this by offering the following support:
- Liaising and coordinating support for housing, Education, Training and Employment (ETE), benefits, family work, mutual aid across all prison departments and on into the community
- Working closely with criminal justice agencies in the community to ensure to ensure continuity of care beyond the gate
We work in partnership with HMP Bedford, CAN and Northampton NHS Foundation Trust to deliver an integrated substance misuse service in the prison.
We work closely with community services to transfer any and all service users to community services, in order to provide the most effective continuity of care service available.